Friday, October 30, 2009

Herman The Merman

Sorry I haven't been blogging, but I've been pretty busy, what with the musical and homework and everything. And I only have study hall every other day... so yeah. Anyways, here's Part 2 of my story :) Enjoy!

I opened the box slowly, not sure what to expect. The confetti and card was nice, but what if this was all a trap? There were some people out there trying to capture me, that I knew. And my sister too... Oh well. If I didn't open this box, it was going to haunt me for the rest of my life. I just knew it.

I gently tore off a corner of the paper. Nothing exploded, made a loud noise, or gave off radiation... so I guessed it was okay. I dove into the rest of the box eagerly, throwing paper and cardboard everywhere. When the melee had finally calmed down a bit, I peeked inside. GUESS WHAT IT WAS. A PLATYPUS. There was a freaking PLATYPUS in my house!!! Another card was attached to it's neck with a loop of string, but this one just said "Herman the Merman". I had no idea who this Herman the Merman was. Maybe he was the guy who sent this present to me. Maybe I was supposed to find him... but who cared? I had a platypus!!! Hmmm... first things first. Was my platypus a boy or a girl? I had to think up a name, as well. Being very careful not to prick myself with the poisonous barbs at it's knees, I turned it onto it's back. Well, what do you know? It was a boy.

However interesting that was, I still needed a name for him. I glanced around, looking for inspiration. I tended to not be very imaginative when it came to names, so I usually named my pets after things in the room I was currently in (I once named my dog Cabinet). My gaze got caught by the name on the card that was around his neck. Herman the Merman. It had a nice ring to it, and was way more creative than anything I could ever come up with. Herman the Merman it was.

I set Herman down so he could explore his new house. He was actually pretty curious, sniffing at everything. He even "marked his territory" once or twice. I was going to have to fix that. Then my sister came down. Trea glanced at the platypus, looked at me, and said "I haven't had my coffee yet, have I?" "Nope," I replied, smothering laughter. Trea always looked insanely odd when she was transforming from angel to devil. Especially when she hadn't brushed her hair yet.

Herman squeaked suddenly. I looked down to see his sharp little teeth gnawing on the bathroom wall. I sighed. This was going to be a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment