Sunday, February 28, 2010

Have you ever noticed?

Have you ever noticed how when you look at individual things in a person, they're not that special, but when put together they are unique? For instance, say you like musicals. Well, a lot of people like musicals. Not that interesting. They also knit. Again, a lot of people knit. They're a teenager, along with 28 million in the U.S.. Maybe they also like to listen to hard rock. *Yawn*. They write essays about zombies. Hmm, that's sort of interesting, but it's not like no one's ever had that idea before. They want to be a psychiatrist. So do tons of others. BUt if you put them together, and get a teenager who listens to musicals and hard rock, knits, writes zombie essays, and wants to be a psychiatrist, now THAT is an individual. I'm thinking of putting something like that in my application to Brown University.
Did you know that Brown is the 15th best college in the U.S.A., and one of the hardest to get into? Only 14% of applicants make it. Those are not good odds. Especially if you had two Cs in your first semester of high school, like I did. Just thinking about that gives me a sick feeling in my stomach. It's only my freshman year of high school, and I'm already thinking about my college application essays.
Do you re-use the same essay for every school you apply to, or do you have to write a different one for each?
I don't expect to get a 4.0 GPA, mainly because I like having friends. But I'm really going to try for a 3.8, at least. Right now I have an A- in Math and Latin, which is pretty good, a B+ in Writing, and a B in Science, which I'm going to try to bring up because if you want to be a psychiatrist (like I do), then you have to have a really good background in math and science. I'm going to try to take more advanced math classes next year... if I can.
But enough about that. Now for something that's been kind of bugging me.
One of my friends at school I've known for a LONG time. Since kindergarten, if you want to be specific. She was in the same kindergarten class as me. She remembers things... a little differently than I do.
For example, she remembers this one time that I was sick and I threw up in the classroom. I don't remember this, but I'm not calling her a liar. In fact, this could have easily happened. But does she really need to bring it up ALL THE TIME? Does she really need to tell EVERYONE? What about that guy I know in my Writing class who annoys me constantly? Did she have to tell him? Now he's going to bring it up in Writing tomorrow, and I'll be sentenced to disgusted looks. Which I hate.
Now don't get me wrong, this person is really nice. She's so nice that she doesn't think about how this story telling is going to affect me, because I don't think that something like this has ever happened to her before. But it has happened to me.
I'm just warning you, if you have a potentially embarrassing story about someone (even if it happened 8/9 years ago) think about how it'll affect that person before you go spreading it around.



BTW, this isn't JUST going to be a complaining blog. Sure, there'll be some of that here, but you can just skip over those parts if you so choose. I'm not looking for sympathy, I just want to tell someone about all of this. Otherwise I might go (even more) insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment